- Each science project is to be undertaken in the spirit of the ALFALFA collaboration,
with maximum openness to all ALFALFA team members who commit significant
effort towards the undertaking of the project.
- While science projects may be undertaken by subsets of the ALFALFA
on their own, contributions to the overall ALFALFA effort are expected of
each project team. For example, catalogs developed by one project team
should be provided to other ALFALFA teams where separate science projects
make use of data collected in the same sky area. Data products
produced by individual project teams must meet the general ALFALFA product specifications and be delivered to the overall ALFALFA archive.
Software exchange by teams is encouraged, with IDL the preferred
environment for ALFALFA analysis.
- The science project leader is responsible for seeing that the project is
undertaken in a timely manner with delivery of all tasks including
data processing and analysis, construction of data catalogs,
production of Level II public data products, science analysis
and education and public outreach. To maximize
accomplishment with minimal redundant effort, project
teams should coordinate closely with members of the technical working
groups, and probably, with other ALFALFA science teams.
- Leaders of science project teams making first use of the survey data
should assume responsibility for production of the Level I data processing
as well as the HI catalog and public data products of those regions of the
sky covered by the science project.
- Where possible, large science project teams
should contribute to the observing team effort.
- Science project teams planning concurrent follow-up or complementary
observations should include members of the HI catalog team so that
ALFALFA reduction and detection strategy can include current
- Science project teams must present a well defined plan
(to be posted) for execution including a timeframe for completion
of all deliverables. Progress will be reviewed
periodically by the Oversight Committee.
- Student involvement is strongly encouraged, and students'
interests should be protected.
Back to the projects page
Back to the main ALFALFA page
Back to the ALFALFA Team page
This page created and maintained by members of the
Cornell ExtraGalactic Group
Last modified: Tue Sep 20 18:48:53 EDT 2005